From mowing lawns to moving soil, slashing paddocks or digging a trench, Kubota’s BX series is the all-rounder for lifestyle property maintenance. Compact in design yet powerful in performance, the sub compact BX series tractor range is designed to tackle a range of jobs with ease. Boasting exceptional manoeuvrability, even in the tightest of spaces.
The different BX models
The Kubota BX range features four models across two categories. Category one includes the BX1880, BX2380 and BX2680. These models represent an 18HP, 23HP and 26HP tractor respectively. These machines are the base tractor only and can be fitted with turf, industrial or ag (bar) wheels. Typically these tractors are then fitted with an LA344SG front end loader and either a standard bucket or a 4in1 bucket. These tractors include the three point linkage for attaching a variety of implements including slashers, mulchers, rotary hoes, carry-alls, spreaders, and post hole diggers. All models in both category one and two in the BX range can be paired with a 54″ or 60″ mid mount mowing deck. The BX1880, BX2380 and BX2680 do not have a backhoe attachment included or available. This tractor features a quick release loader removal system.
Category two is the Kubota BX23S which is a 23HP tractor fitted with industrial tyres, a LA340 front end loader and BT603 backhoe with a 12″ standard bucket. You can choose between a standard and 4in1 bucket for the front end loader and you can also add a 16″ bucket and mechanical thumb to the backhoe. Like the BX80 series the BX23S tractor can come with a 54″ or 60″ mid mount mowing deck. Both the loader and backhoe are removeable on this model. When the backhoe is removed and the three point linkage is installed you can attach the same implements that you would use on a BX1880, BX2380 or BX2680.
What type of tyre do I need?
Every hobby farm or commercial operation has different requirements and choosing the right wheel equipment is an important factor in selecting a suitable machine. In steep or muddy conditions a tractor will retain more performance if it can maintain grip so we would recommend bar or industrial wheels. Industrial wheels are mandatory on the BX23S but are not available for the BX1880. If looking after your grass is important, than we recommend the turf tyres which will not dig up the wet ground.
What bucket do I need?
A 4in1 hydraulic release bucket vs a standard bucket
What is a 4in1 bucket? A 4in1 bucket is a hydraulic enabled bucket that can push material, scoop material, drag and grab material. The bucket is split along the backplate enabling it to open using hydraulic control systems.
What is a standard bucket? A standard bucket is a single piece bucket that has less functionality than a 4in1 bucket and its primary function is to scoop and smooth out material.
The 4 IN 1 bucket has many advantages over the standard bucket:
- Using a hydraulic control lever, the operator can open the bucket to release material instead of dumping the material.
- When the bucket is opened, the exposed blades on the rear and front end of the bucket can be used for earthmoving activities.
- Similar functionality to a mechanical thumb on the BT603 backhoe, where you can use the bucket to grab broken branches and foliage.
- The 4in1 bucket is a more expensive option as it includes hydraulic fittings and hoses and also requires additional labour in the assembly process the plumb up the hydraulics. Whilst a 4in1 bucket will cost slightly more than a standard bucket, the small price increase is well worth the additional functionality and versatility that it gives your tractor. Without the 4in1 you will not be able to push, drag or grab material.
- In the last decade, we have found that 67% of our customers purchase a 4in1 bucket for their BX, and 58% of customers buy a 4in1 bucket for their L series tractor (32-46HP).
BX Tractor Key Features
- Powered by rugged Kubota engines, renowned worldwide for their exceptional reliability and durability.
- Featuring a 2 range hydrostatic transmission and equipped with twin operating pedals for exceptional handling even when frequent changes of speed and direction are required.
- Equipped with hydraulic power steering that offers effortless control while reducing operator fatigue.
- With dimensions similar to a lawn tractor, the BX series is easy to maneuver and offers smooth operation even in tight spaces. Due to it’s compact size, the BX is incredibly gentle on turf.
- Rugged and sturdy 4-wheel drive provides powerful traction for heavy duty front end loader work and rear implement work.
- Your choice of turf, bar or industrial tyres are available.
- Operator comfort is maximized with a fully flat platform that provides plenty of legroom.
- A new deluxe seat keeps you working comfortably and efficiently, even on the most demanding jobs. The high-back reclining seat is fully adjustable and equipped with adjustable armrests. Soft cushioning supports the back and legs for optimum operator comfort.
- The BX instrument panel offers easy to read indicators for all vital information you need to keep your tractor running smoothly, safely, and efficiently. A single glance at the instrument panel tells you everything you need to know about the major functions of your BX tractor. The large tachometer features a convenient orange indicator that shows the optimum rpm range for loader/ backhoe and rear PTO work.
- Cruise control automatically maintains a constant speed, letting you take your foot off the forward pedal. It’s the easy way to mow large areas or travel long distances.
- Featured are large angled lever guides for hassle free shifting, fast lever recognition and easy operation.
- All controls and indicators are neatly and ergonomically placed for quick, easy and user-friendly operation.
- Switching between mowing lawns, front end loader work and backhoe work has never been easier thanks to the BX’s quick connect implements.
- Kubota’s quick connect loader lets you attach and detach the loader without getting down from the tractor! To detach the front loader, simply follow four simple steps and then back away. The front end loader comes with the option of standard or 4:1 bucket.
- The BX23S backhoe offers huge convenience and performance. The backhoe features a spacious, comfortable operator station with ample legroom, as well as a curved boom, 20° angle of departure, hydraulic hose protection, wide sight lines, and Kubota’s quick connect mounting system for effortless attachment/detachment. It’s the ideal combination of convenience and performance for any digging job.
- 3-blade mid mount mower decks offer a wide cutting area, allowing you to cut more grass in a single pass. 54”or 60″ mower decks are available.
- Mower decks are shaft driven to deliver power smoothly from the mid-PTO. Unlike belt drives, there is no slippage and maintenance is minimal.
- A simple twist of the dial cam adjusts the mower height in ¼” increments to your desired cutting level.
Safe Loader Operation
It is strongly recommended for safety purposes that your tractor has a counterweight fitted to the rear linkage when you are operating the front end loader. If the weight in the loader and bucket is not offset using a backhoe, an implement such as a mulcher or slasher or a purpose built counterweight, then you can damage the tractor and have an accident, potentially harming you or others around you. If the weight on the front of the tractor is not countered using the above means then the tractor can tip over, the loader subframe can twist or the back wheels can come off the ground, in which case you loose traction and control of the machine.
There are limitations to the lift capacity of front end loaders. The listed capacity on the loader plate often does not include the weight of the bucket and you must understand the maximum safe lifting capacity before undertaking a task. If the task is too large you can try to break it up into smaller tasks, such as cutting a log up before lifting it.
It is important to consider the tasks that you have to do on your property, now and over the coming years as it may be beneficial for you to step up into a B series, L series or MX series tractor which have more horsepower and lift capacity.
Kubota BX Series – In Depth Video. Please note that this is a Canadian video and some attachments are not available in Australia.
If you think that the BX is the right tractor for you, then the next step is to talk to one of our sales representatives. Even if you are stuck on what model tractor best suits you, or if you are unsure if the BX is big enough for your needs then give us a call, email or a visit. Tasmac has sales staff that operate alongside our parts and service teams at our Smithton, Devonport, Launceston and Hobart branches, that way you are always dealing with someone local. Our sales team can help you narrow down the right model, accessories and answer any questions you have. If you have any queries regarding finance or pricing get in touch with us today for an obligation free quote.
We understand that this might be your first piece of farm equipment (how exciting!), especially if you own or have just purchased a small hobby farm. Our sales team can deliver the machine to your property and show you how to safely and confidently operate your machine. Our parts and service teams have your back and will keep your machine operating smoothly.